Josiah Magnuson is an educator and electrical repairman from Campobello, South Carolina.
Born in Greenville to a Baptist pastor, Josiah's family moved several times as God opened ministry opportunities.
Homeschooled through his sophomore year, Josiah graduated from Kingsway
Christian School in Orrville, Ohio in 2010. But he couldn't stay away from the South forever. Josiah settled back in the Upcountry following his graduation, before completing two years at Oak Brook
College of Law. Josiah received an opportunity to train in electric work and he chose the down-to-earth job. He is currently employed in the installation of solar power systems.
Though he's not a politician or attorney, Josiah has long been active in the political process. As a teen, he was motivated by the writings of Thomas Jefferson in the 1798 Kentucky Resolutions. In 2004, foreseeing the coming national conversation on illegal immigration, he wrote his first letter to the editor, published by the Greenville News.
In 2007, Josiah founded Soldiers of Biblical Reformation, a nondenominational Christian group with weekly meetings bringing families together to uphold godly principles in all areas of life, including the civil realm. Dozens of young people have been inspired to get involved through this project.
Josiah has taught a number of other classes, including elementary science, high-school American History, and the U.S. Constitution for all ages.
From 2012 to 2017, Josiah served as
director of Americans for Constitutional Government (ACG). Founded in
1962, ACG is the oldest citizens' action group in the
Upcountry. ACG hosts monthly meetings with educational speakers, two
annual banquets, and a variety of action projects. In this role, Josiah hosted several bus trips to Columbia to assist citizens in meeting and influencing their representatives.
2015, Josiah along with SC Rep. Jonathon Hill (R-Anderson County) co-founded The Virtue Solution Project, an effort to build
a future for America resting on the moral courage to do right,
community self-sufficiency, and Biblical love for our neighbors. This project aims to put into practice the outline the Founders gave us of how to point America back in the right direction, based on Josiah's longtime research on the subject.
Josiah sees the vision of America's Founders as the right course for our country. In particular, as your state representative, he works to utilize the Tenth Amendment to limit rising Federal overreach.
Josiah has already been a leader in several major volunteer efforts at the state legislature, including:
1. Rejection of Federal REAL-ID (2007). Our state refused by law to implement this privacy-invading national identification card system. South Carolina joined 16 other states in passing a resistance statute. Together, we kept the national ID agenda from moving forward.
2. Sound money (2011). To help insulate against another economic crisis, this bill would have allowed the state to pay debts in U.S. gold and silver coin, as is constitutionally mandated in Article I, Section 10.
3. Stop Obamacare (2013-2015). The "Affordable Care Act" (Obamacare) is really about placing direct Federal government control over our families. Though the legislation failed on a technicality in the Senate, it would have prohibited state employees from assisting in the adoption of Obamacare, and would have refused Federal funds connected to this unconstitutional program.
4. Marriage between a man and a woman (2015). The U.S. Constitution has nothing to say about marriage. Under the Tenth Amendment, South Carolina retains the right to recognize marriage as defined by the Creator. This bill would use the power of the legislature under the state constitution to remove state judges from office if they do not rule in keeping with the law.
5. And more - including homeschool freedom, pro-life Personhood legislation, NO gas tax hike, etc.!
As your representative, Josiah Magnuson fights for your values. You can be confident in his record of leadership. If you have any questions, feel free to call him at 864-420-7933.
Paid for by Magnuson for House 2018, P.O. Box 206, Campobello SC 29322